Monday, April 7, 2008

Zanzibar'in it

Just got back from the South West coast of the island. We had hitched a ride out there with James and Rob, the two guys we met at the restaurant the other night. They're both here in semi-long term capacities (Rob is an engineer overseeing the redevelopment of the StoneTown waterfront, which has had no maintenance since the 60's, and James is here from England looking for a place to build a hotel), so they are pretty good guides. We stayed at a beach resort overlooking a white sandy beach and the blue-est of blue waters I've ever seen. I'm uploading pictures now but here's the thing about internet in Africa: it's damn slow at the best of times. When you travel to an island off the coast of Africa, things get markedly worse. So take what you can get!

While I remember, I have a working cell phone now (And the number will be the same for AT LEAST 2 days!!!). So by all means, call me to chat. Just remember that I'm 7 hours ahead of Ontario time. Country code 255-(there may be a zero here) 783-571-859.

We're now just waiting for my photos to upload, then will hit up some lunch, then we're off to the North coast for a few days to spend some quality time playing with crabs on the beach.

ps. I've ticked off octopus on my 'things I've eaten' list. Pretty tasty with a nice garlic-olive oil dip.

No comments: