Friday, March 28, 2008

And now, all is revealed...

Two posts ago I mentioned that I was working on a special 'project'. Well there was a good reason that I waited to go into detail - I didn't want to scare anybody before I got safely out of the country (I'm in Livingstone, Zambia).

I've had an adventure more exciting than anything in my wildest dreams. Over the last few days I ceased to be a tourist and became a freelance journalist. I was incredibly lucky that in the first 20 minutes of getting to my hostel, I ran into several senior organizers for the MDC, the leading political party opposing the autocrat Mugabe. I started interviewing right away. By the end of the day, I was offered an interview with the Vice President of the MDC who happened to be in town. I jumped on that immediately, or rather, jumped into the back of a pickup truck, and was told to lay down for the ride to her hotel so I wouldn't be spotted by police. Had I been outed as a journalist, I would have been arrested, as there is zero freedom of the press here. I conducted a quick interview, without a notebook, because I was told undercover police were watching us. Thankfully I have cultivated the stupid tourist look well after 3 months on the road.

In the next few days I learned about what kind of shit is happening here - all police and army leaves have been canceled in preparation for violence - they are in riot gear on every second street corner in major cities. On the day I decided to leave, the police were chasing street children, and apparently they often beat children as young as 10. The shelves are bare; people are starving. Opposition candidates are being bribed, hassled or arrested. I got a really good interview with a prospective MP an hour after being released from jail. Most of those I talked to assure me that Mugabe will steal this election again and that there will be violence when that happens.

Things are in shambles in Zimbabwe but I felt that it was worth putting myself at risk so that the world can see what is happening there. My story will likely be published in Saturday's National Post, so keep an eye out for it. An absolutely phenomenal experience!!!

3 comments:

gump said...

HOLY, FUCK.

ccnm said...

From your cousin Bryan:

Wow, Mike, that's a crazy story! I'm glad that all is well and that you didn't have any unfortunate run-ins. I finally read your blog today and it sounds like you're having an absolute blast. I'm really happy for you in that you're having this amazing experience and I look forward to reading more - you rock, bro! (well, cousin...but you know what I mean)

Unknown said...

OH my....be careful!